Monday, January 19, 2009

THE CITY....

My MTV "reality" crush goes back to the days (and daze) of Laguna Beach. Maybe it's in the cinematography and the great locations...because it surely can't be all about the lame ass characters. Whatever it was or wasn't....it has changed. This show is a spin-off of a spin-off and now we're down to minor sidekick characters commanding a show all their own.

I should say, up front, that I liked Whitney on "The Hills." I am glad it was she and not Heidi or god-freaking-forbid Audrina who got a spin-off, but Whitney is nice. And boring. And she pronounces words funny...something about how she rolls a "g" at the end of a word (thinking becomes "thinking-k") It's odd.

There were weeks when she wasn't on "The Hills" and we never ever knew anything about her personal life, outside of Teen Vogue and that was okay. Now, she is pulling off (or trying to pull off) a show in the greatest city on Earth.

I still love the photography and the way Manhattan is shot, but I find myself saddened by this show.

First things first--GEOGRAPHY, folks.

Gramercy is *not* Downtown. There is all this chatter among these fools about Whitney being all "Downtown." She's so not. Worse? The lead fool making this argument is Olivia Palermo. Olivia lives where? I KNOW, I KNOW. Olivia claims to be an "Uptown Social." Bitch lives DOWNTOWN at 88 Leonard, which is a "not great" building in TriBeCa.

Truthfully, I do not believe Whitney nor Olivia work for Diane von Furstenberg. The whole premise makes the show incredibly weak.

Suddenly, private Whitney has men fighting for her in Manhattan and decides upon the Australian version of Audrina's lame ass Justin Bobby. What???

I was all for Whitney interviewing in NYC and leaving California because everyone knows fashion is in NYC and not LA, but this show is manufactured. Completely.

Episode one, Whitney shows up in The Big Apple and announces she is crashing at her friend's apartment. Who in the hell is Erin? We never heard of this friend--even when Whitney visited NY for The Hills related fashion duties, the job interview, etc. Suddenly, we find out Whitney has a good pal already in place....and it's been downhill from there.

I have been drifting all over the internet trying to confirm everything I *know* is wrong, just from watching this train wreck in my living room and so far, everyone on this show seems to be a phony plant, courtesy of MTV.

I am going to re-watch tonight's episode so I can comment on it. I watched it, live, when it aired at 10PM, but I can't think of a damned noteworthy thing to type here about it. I also want to highlight this cast of characters and who they really are.....

0 comments: