Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The City Phonies, Part 1, Olivia



I am slightly overwhelmed by the phonies, false characters, and wannabes on this show....and naturally, disappointed. I stand by my love of the cinematography. I rewatched this morning and as long as I can view NYC as the star of this show, I can tolerate it.

Okay, now back to Olivia. The first thing that ticks me off is this forced notion that she is a socialite (or annoyingly, a "social"). To state the obvious, no bonafide Socialite would be seen near a reality tv show.

Gawker, one of my favorite NY sites, posed the question, "Just who the hell is Olivia Palermo?" http://gawker.com/tag/who-are-you/?i=395289&t=just-who-the-hell-is-olivia-palermo

Almost three years ago, there was a web site known as socialiterank.com and it featured these little known and unimportant NYC young socialites. It was on this web site that olivia Palermo first jockeyed for socialite attention and embarrassed herself. Glad to see she's not done with that endeavor yet. For all the sad history on the socialite ranking web site and Olivia's shame, check out this past article from NY magazine. It's delicious. http://nymag.com/news/people/31555/

Weird reality? In 2007, Olivia was repped by Kelly Cutrone (Whit's former LA boss) and her PR firm.

Inevitable conclusion on Olivia? One of the fakest elements of this show. Not a socialite, not working for DVF, and completely fabricated persona. She makes for a great villainess, though, chewing up the scenery and rolling her eyes. Next "character" is Olivia's cousin, Nevan. I just can't read enough of his arrest record....coming up next!

0 comments: