Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Bachelor

Okay---time to come clean. I am not a Bachelor/Bachelorette fan...I saw Season One because the guy, whose name escapes me (Alex?) was from Darien, CT and I lived there when the show aired. I found the show unbelievably degrading (usually a plus in Reality TV World).

Maybe it was the intro with 25 characters, who soon would be thinned to 15 and the pressure of trying to figure out who was who, etc, that I gave up. Briefly, last spring, I got sucked back in. I was moving to a new apartment, I didn't have cable and I watched Matt, "London Calling" on ABC's web site. I hated myself, but I watched every single episode.

Summer came and I missed Deanna, apparently....I dodged a bullet with her. I have read articles about her and she annoys me through osmosis.

Jason, the single dad from Seattle....well, he was new to me and I have to confess to liking the 2 hour format. I can DVR, fast forward, and get through it in no time. I have been watching, secretly, since the new season started.

I'm still not a fan of the format or the drama ("One lady will lose her chance at happiness forever..."), yet I watch and fast forward. Now I have never seen a season of this show which featured a bachelor or bachelorette with a child, but I have to note the desperation with which these women feel compelled to tell Jason how much they want a family and can't wait to be a step-mom to Ty. The child has a biological mother so back off with the maternal hormones.

Until now, no episode made me want to admit watching...until tonight!!

I loved, loved, loved the two-on-one date!! I could never figure out why Nikki got the first impression rose in the first episode. The woman has SIDEBURNS!!!! She also admits to being controlling and when she isn't fully prepped, she can't have a basic conversation. She needed to go.

I know, in my heart, that Stephanie will not last much longer, but I will miss the episode where I don't hear how her husband died tragically in a plane crash. Yes, my heart goes out to her--having a 10 week old baby when her husband died, but all deaths are TRAGIC. Can we skip that word? Please?? And "daddy taking a flight to heaven?" It got me the FIRST time I heard it....not the 33rd time.

Still, my girl Steph (scary botox eyes and all) beat out the sideburned beauty queen (and Steph had a mean tango to boot) and I was joyous.

The final rose ceremony was awesome. Megan--here's a tip--when your whole voiceover has to be bleeped for using the "f" word, don't count on snagging the guy with a pre-schooler. You kept saying last week how DEEP you were and how nobody got you. I kinda doubt it.

Shannon!! STALKER from her first moment on the screen. Self-professed "tooth nazi" with the worst overbite of the group. I sorta liked the fact the Shannon never felt like she should comb her hair or how last week, post vomiting, she threw her arms around Jason who chose her (maybe because he was scared she would boil Ty's bunny--she knows, from Wikipedia about his pets and his brother's girlfriend). I am still a little shaken that her in her exit interview, she said she was going home to "French kiss" her dog. YIKES!!

That left Lauren, when Jason pulled his "trifecta diss" by not giving out a rose and eliminating only two. Miss Bossy Pants, as Dr Phil would ask, "How's that workin' for ya?" The only empathy I felt for her was that last week, Jason asked her who the troublemakers were and she told. He, of course, kept Megan, making it tres awkward for HER. Instead of being in a snit about his not giving her the rose she demanded, she should have called him out on his sissy-ness (is that a word?)

I should add that I am not on Team Jason. I am worn out on his "I know how you feel because I was there" and the way he insists on macking these girls at the parties where he lines up one after the next...As for his technique of touching the girls' jawline as he kisses them, it seems forced...well, actually the whole show is so who am I kidding?

I didn't mind Matt from London as much because he just made a grand fool of himself. I like this season less because it involved not only a single dad, but several single moms. I know it's realistic of today's dating scene, but I hope private individuals don't pimp their kids out as much as we see on this season of "The Bachelor."

I hear buzz that Melissa could be "the one." She's the ex Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader. Apparently, she was on another tv show associated with that. I don't find her particularly interesting, but Jason seems low key (read: boring) so it might just work. I like Steph, but there's no chemistry. Jillian, from Canada, annoys me--from her initial hotdog crap (that I swear I read in a forwarded email about 8 years ago) to her accent....let's just say, I don't get it. Molly from the tent? I thought she went home last week so color me surprised when she showed up for the one-on-one date.

Tonight's episode started off as a drag and post General Hospital, I wondered if all wrap parties involved tears and razor blades....I was glad the rose ceremonies were slightly exciting so I'll be sure to turn in for another week!

0 comments: